13 August 2012

Pro-Tip Re: Hearing Aid Batteries


Hearing aid batteries are expensive. No joke. 

For standard behind the ear hearing aids and my particular model of cochlear implant, I've always had to use the largest hearing aid battery available: 675. When I used a hearing aid, I used one battery at a time and each one lasted roughly a week. In this cochlear implant, it takes three hearing aid batteries at a time (it's heavy on my ear some days) and they last roughly 3-5 days at a time. 

In Target or the drugstore, you get a pack of eight 675 batteries at once. Each package costs between $8-10 depending on sales and sales taxes. I was lucky for a few years and Grandma would go crazy buying me hearing aid batteries when they were on sale with her seniors' discount. But that was before the Alzheimer's set in. 

Luckily, a few years ago, I discovered Costco sells hearing aid batteries. They sell the hearing aid batteries in packs of 40...for $9.39 a pack. 40 hearing aid batteries for the same price as 8 batteries elsewhere. And these batteries last....usually about a week (so, longer than the packages I found elsewhere). 

Suddenly, that $55 annual membership to Costco is absolutely worth it. I share this little find because I'm sure others out there are looking for the best prices on hearing aid batteries....or may someday find themselves needing hearing aid batteries too. 

2 comments:

Rebecca Kavel said...

If you are using hearing aids, it helps if you know how long its battery can last. Lithium 675 battery is common to power up hearing aids and cochlear implants. But with the advancement of technology nowadays, there are now rechargeable batteries available in the market. It can be a good alternative as it will no longer require you to buy batteries again and again. In addition, if you found out that your battery has shorter lifespan, the hearing aid may not be properly working and should be checked.

KT Mac said...

Rebecca - thank you for reminding me about rechargeable batteries. If this is an option for users, great! In my case, I did try rechargeable batteries for about a year, five years ago....and truth be told, they weren't that great an option for me and my lifestyle. I found the rechargeable batteries only lasted about 12 hours (not ideal considering at that time I was averaging 12 hour workdays), the batteries performed worse in extreme weather conditions and took an excessively long time to recharge. I often had to carry standard 675s as backups to the backup rechargeable batteries and often just used 675s when I was traveling. When the batteries died after about a year of steady use, it was also far cheaper for me to continue using 675s instead of replacing the rechargeable batteries. In the future, given technological advances, I'd be willing to try them again, but given that I now have an older generation cochlear implant, I'll continue to use (and recycle, rest assured) the 675s until I upgrade my cochlear implant again.