21 June 2012

Slower than Slow Beauty


Tokyo, in the sultry heat.

There's beauty in this hazy, sultry heat.
It's hot, so hot.
With humidity so thick it seems to caress your skin.
I find myself desperate for cool and soothing. 
Standing in the cool, white bathtub, 
sticking one foot, then the other, under a noisy waterfall, 
so cold I audibly gasp as it first touches my skin.
In front of the wide-open fridge,
pulling red, red cherries out of the glass bowl,
frosted with cold. 
I move slow,
slower,
slower than slow now.
As my body slows, 
so do my thoughts. 
As I sit there, 
in a hot apartment, in the late 
afternoon sun,
motionless,
wondering
when that bead of sweat will finish its race down my back.
My hummingbird thoughts
slow down, 
one by one, 
slow, 
slower, 
slower than slow, 
until they creak to a stop. 
Relief.
Sweet relief.
To have time to love those thoughts, 
as they come, 
one by one. 
To turn the thoughts over and over again, 
savoring each one. 
Loving the spirit and soul that thinks
these slower than slow,
one by one
thoughts. 
Loving the curvy, hourglass, dimpled body
that houses the spirit and soul that thinks
the slower than slow, 
one by one 
thoughts. 
Loving the sultry caress 
of the humidity that seduces
the curvy, hourglass, dimpled body
into slowing, 
slower than slow, 
so the spirit and soul can finally 
savor
those slower than slow,
one by one
thoughts. 
There's real beauty 
in this heat and humidity, 
as long as you slow
and savor those
slower than slow, 
one by one 
thoughts. 

3 comments:

recreatingmyworld said...

so the spirit and soul can finally
savor
those slower than slow,
one by one
thoughts.

What a beautiful image and a powerful reminder. Love the poem =)

Tat @ Mum in search said...

Would love it if you could send some of that heat my way (it's winter here in Australia)

KT Mac said...

Karen - Thank you again for the inspiration!!

Tat - Oh my sympathies. I'm a summer baby - I love this sultry heat (even as I whine about it from time to time)