04 June 2012

A Part of Who I Am

My friends, I've been doing some thinking lately.

About life and experiences and passions and beliefs and using your passions and talents and life experiences to help others.

And well, I've been a bit lazy about that. I got through some tough challenges in my life a better person, but I opted to leave those challenges behind me instead of helping others. Mostly because, well, it's just my everyday life; as much a part of me as the fact that I have brown hair that does what it wants, or that I'm right handed, or that I have a cute little mole on my left foot.

Hello.

I'm KtMac, and I'm deaf.


This has been mention a time or two on this blog. It's not a secret. But my hope is that by telling my story here, I might help someone else through their own struggles.

With hearing, with understanding another perspective, with feeling like you don't belong, with adversity, with hope.

I recently started watching the ABC series Switched at Birth on Netflix. I still can't decide if I'm a fan of the overall story line, but there have been a few scenes in which one of the lead characters, who is Deaf, has some experiences in school that were so similar to my own in school that it still makes my heart ache, days later.

As I was telling a friend about the show, I explained one of the things I really like is that this character and her mom use their new life experiences as an opportunity to educate others on what it's like not hear in a hearing world. But, they do it in a non-confrontational, non-militant way. And I realized that while I'm always happy to share my story when asked, I'm not so good about just volunteering my story, especially when it might help someone else.

So, from here on out, I'll be sharing more stories, more snippets of what it was like to grow up hearing impaired. What it was like to become deaf. How having a cochlear implant was the best decision for me personally. What some of the challenges I face on a daily basis are. How my loved ones have adjusted to and compensated for and cheered on my differences.

While I generally choose not to talk too much about my deafness, preferring not to highlight my differences, these stories are just as much a part of me as the fact that I have curly brown hair, a complete inability to sing in tune, and the natural grace of a baby giraffe, and these stories need to be told too. For me as much as for others.

6 comments:

Vanessa said...

I think it's great you are sharing all of your stories. It can only serve to inspire others. You've accomplished so much despite your challenges.

Mb said...

Even though we've shared many over the years, I'm excited to hear more of your stories :)

Zelde said...

I think that's a great plan! I always love to hear peoples stories but I'm often too shy to ask and I'm sure I'm not the only one :)

KT Mac said...

All, thank you so much for all your support! It feels oddly awkward to share these stories in print rather than in conversation, so it is empowering to have such support for this idea!

Karen C said...

I'm playing a bit of catch up on my blog reading, but I'm really excited that you've deicded to share those stories too. I believe people sharing their stories changes the world and I can't wait to see your stories making the world a better place. I know they'll shine as brightly as you do. Way to go my friend! Hugs =)

KT Mac said...

Thank you Karen! Your support means so much to me. I have had these stories percolating in my mind for a few days now, so fingers crossed they'll be ready to start sharing soon!