31 May 2012

When Skies Are Grey

The surreal Adriatic coastline. 

We crawled into bed together last night.
Like we always do. 
We read for a while.
And like almost always, I was ready to sleep first. 
So I closed my eyes and got comfortable. 
You got up to turn off the light. 
And crawled back into the soft sheets with me. 
We held hands. 
Tight. 
So sweetly tight. 
And as I began drifting off.
Lyrics popped into my head:

You are my sunshine. 
My only sunshine. 
You make me happy.
When skies are grey. 
You'll never know dear. 
Just how much I love you. 
So please don't take my sunshine away. 
The other night, dear, 
As I lay sleeping, 
I dreamt I held you in my arms. 
But when I awoke, dear,
I found I was mistaken. 
So I hung my head and cried. 
You are my sunshine. 
My only sunshine. 
You make me happy. 
When skies are grey. 

And at that exact moment, 
Almost as if I had sung the word aloud, 
(I even spent a few seconds wondering if I had)
You cradled my head in your hand, 
And brought your forehead to mine. 
Squeezed my hand even tighter. 
And we lay there. 
Entwined. 
Your warm breath on my cheek. 
Your smooth forehead on mine. 
My silky soft hair wrapped in your hand. 
My heart skipped a few beats.
I felt so warm.
So cozy.
So safe. 
So loved.
And I thought to myself, 
With that last conscious thought,
"Please don't ever take moments, 
As perfect as this one, 
For granted. Ever.
These moments, 
This love, 
Really is extraordinary."

7 comments:

Vanessa said...

Wow Katie! You have found the sweetest kind of love! Lovely post!

Cathy said...

So beautiful both the words and the image

Debbie said...

Lovely words.

KT Mac said...

Thank you all! Your kind words mean so much to me.

Ginger said...

AH. It's moments like these that make all the others worthwhile.

Mb said...

My dad used to sing this song to me before I went to bed :) I love how special the song can be, in different ways, to different people.

KT Mac said...

Ginger...so very true! Makes up for the grumpy days and the ordinary moments when you have a moment or two like this one in there.

Mb...my Mom always used to sing this song to me. It really is a special song. :)