05 April 2012

We Didn't Say Good-Bye


We both sat there. Sweaty and out of breath and drinking water like there was no tomorrow. Smiles on our faces; loud music and laughter in the background. 

"It's funny, isn't it?" I asked as I caught his eye. 

"What's that, love?"

"Here we are, in this amazing venue, watching her dance with the love of her life, and all I can think of are those early days way back when the three of us were drinking beers while sitting on your bed."

He laughed. That loud, hearty laugh of his I love simply because it means he's happy, really, really happy. "I don't think any of us expected life to turn out this way. Here I am, madly in love with you, and she's one of your best friends."

We sat there for a moment longer, catching our breath before we were off and dancing again. And I couldn't help but smile at the way life made sure the three of us are still friends, all these years later, after just a two-week long conference while we were all in undergrad. 

Even the bride couldn't resist commenting on it when I was giving her a hug later on in the evening. "I'm so glad that conference brought us all together."

And the sweetest irony is, they were the only two I didn't actually say "good-bye" to at the end of the conference. 

Life sure is funny. In a good way.

2 comments:

Mb said...

Love this.

KT Mac said...

Thanks Mb! It made me happy to think about, so I'm glad I was able to put into words so others who weren't one of the three of us understand too.