21 March 2012

To the Worst Kind of Bully

Write the letter to the bully, to the cheater, to the aggressor that you always wanted to but couldn't quite. Now tell them why they can't affect you anymore.

Shame on you. 

Really. 

Shame on you. 

You were the adult. You should have known better. 

Instead, you stood there when I came to you with a legitimate problem and a solution, and judgingly told me, "You'll always be a failure if you quit now."

And if that wasn't enough, you pushed even harder and asked, "Are you sure you want to be a quitter? You're just setting yourself up for failure."

With more wisdom than any seventh grader should possess, I got indigent and told you, "I'm not a quitter; I'm choosing the best education for me.

And then I stood my ground and made you transfer me out of the hellish AP English class with the horrid teacher who, when confronted with the fact that she gave a deaf student an E on a flawless paper because she had verbally expanded the assignment without ensuring that I got the expanded portion of the assignment said, "Well, KtMac is going to get an E at some point in her life, might as well be now." After that, with my parents' full support, I had gone to you, asking to be transferred to another English class, with a teacher who had proven herself willing to accommodate my hearing issues. 

Shame on you for making a tough situation even harder. 

Fortunately, between you and that hellish teacher, instead of defeating me, you pissed me off enough to be determined to never, ever, ever get an E on a school paper, quiz, project, or exam. 

You should be even more ashamed when, a year later, again with both parents' support and my teacher's encouragement, I came back to you, asking to transfer from the regular eighth grade English class to the AP English class (different AP instructor altogether), and you told me, "Why do you think you can handle AP English now? You couldn't hack it a year ago."

And again, with far more wisdom than you ever showed as a guidance counselor, I told you, "Because I have a teacher who believes in me."

As the adult, as the school guidance counselor, you should have had more tact and understanding when it came to special needs students, especially one who was actively trying to improve her education.  

Those weren't the only inappropriately snarky things you said to me, but those were the worst and most memorable. But you picked the wrong student to bully. Instead of scaring me, you pissed me off:

I graduated high school with a 4.2 GPA. 

I started college a semester ahead of all other freshman thanks to all the AP credits I earned in high school. Including AP English, without having completed the high school AP English course.

I graduated college, early, with honors, and several years of Arabic language studies. 

I earned a Master's degree, with a 4.0 GPA, despite having mono for six months and working full time in international politics, before most of my high school classmates earned their undergraduate degrees. 

I never once got an "E." I never quit. I never failed. 

Shame on you. 

4 comments:

Mb said...

I love this. I would say the same exact thing to the college professor who lowered my grade on a paper after I contested it with him. Asshat.

KT Mac said...

It still blows my mind that adults can act so juvenile. Really? Sadly, she was just one in a long line of adults who gave me grief, but that's okay, it's changed how I look at "adults" today. And we're better then them!

Vanessa said...

HOW did you do all this... I ask you?! That is very impressive stuff!

KT Mac said...

Vanessa - thank you! Pure determination and good ole' Scottish stubbornness goes a long, long way. :)