16 September 2011

KtMac Reviews: One Day


Author: David Nicholls

The Good: An interesting look at a friendship spanning 20 years by looking at the friends and their lives every year on the same date. I liked the reality of how the friendship isn't always easily explained and waxes and wanes as the years go by -- very accurate, even in my own life when I look at the enduring friendships.

The Bad: It is incredibly realistic in the heartaches and compromises so many of us want to avoid but end up making as time goes by. I appreciated the realism, but it did prevent me from just relaxing and enjoying the read.

The Verdict: If you're curious, it won't hurt to read, but I wasn't enamored with it. I had high hopes based on all the reviews, but it was just too melancholy for me to really enjoy. I probably will check out the Anne Hathway movie of the same title once it's on Netflix out of curiosity though.

No comments: