13 September 2011

KtMac Confessions: It Takes a Village

I was a little quiet hereabouts last week, unintentionally. 

You see, one luxury of working from home means I have a little flexibility in where I work from. And I took full advantage of that luxury to spend last week helping my Dad take care of my Grandma so Mom could spend some time with my bro DMac and get some much needed rest. 

Taking care of a loved one who has dementia or Alzheimers is not easy. As my Dad mentioned in one of our conversations, it really does take a village to make sure she's happy and healthy and well taken care of. There's mood swings, and tantrums, and forgetfulness, and confusion. 

But. 

And oh, my friends, but. 

There is some incredible love and affection and powerful moments of joy and reminders of the pleasures of the simplest things. It is a forgetful love, which can hurt, but it is also an unwavering, unconditional love. 

And I tell you, for every down, there was a much more special up, and the truth is, I'm the lucky one. Lucky to have the honor of showering my Grandma with love and affection and laughter and smiles and memories. 

Memories like coloring pictures...


relaxing in the neighborhood cafe...


giggling over the small things....


enjoying festival corn dogs...


riding the ferris wheel at the town fall fest....!!!


and just loving each other. 


So while my parents may have thanked me, the truth is, I owe them the thank yous for the honor of time and love and memories with my grandma. 

No comments: