20 June 2011

Where I Come From: Invergarry Castle

C'mon y'all, I'm sure by now you've figured out I'm part Scottish. I mean, KtMac? Pretty obvious there's some Scottish stubbornness flowing through my veins. Naturally, when we were planning our Highlands adventure, I absolutely insisted on stopping by my ancestral homeland. So this next series of pictures is quite special. 

The castle has been left to ruin since being burned a final time in 1746 after the Bonnie Prince Charlie used our castle as a hideout before fleeing Scotland during the failed Jacobite Rebellion. 

Invergarry Castle.

Na, na, na. My family is cooler than yours. We have a castle!





Scale replica of the family castle, assuming the figurine of the man is a full-grown adult. 

It really is hard to put into words just how incredibly special it is to see where you come from. Joe got to do it a few years back on our first trip to Croatia and I never dreamed I'd get to one day do the same. I really do hold this visit close to my heart and hope that one day in the not-too-distant future I will be able to share this with my family in person. 

No comments: