07 June 2011

KtMac Confessions: Tastes of Scotland

Scotland is not generally viewed as a foodie destination and rightfully so. Most of the country's food offerings are typical British fare or imports from other countries. 

While I was in Scotland, I ate my way around the globe - Japanese, Chinese, Pakistani, Indian, Thai, Italian, British, and French - but I did try all five Scottish delicacies. 

And now, I'm sure you're wondering, "What is a Scottish delicacy?"

1. Salmon
Oh man, oh man, was the salmon in Scotland delicious. And cheap too. Which makes perfect sense given that Scotland is surrounded by the Northern Atlantic and the North Sea. I ate quite a bit of fresh salmon on my trip and the craving has followed me home. 

2. Full Scottish Breakfast
Understandably hearty given the damp chill and wild winds you're bound to encounter on a daily basis, but as someone who usually has a bowl of cereal or fruit in the mornings, it was a bit too much. A proper full Scottish breakfast includes fried egg, toast, tea, bacon (not the same as American bacon), sausages, sauteed mushrooms, fried tomatoes, and blood pudding (usually not served to foreigners). 

3. Scotch
Duh. I know I learned a lot during our tour of the Talisker Distillery on the Isle of Skye, but to be honest, I didn't hear much of what he was saying over the incredibly LOUD machinery. Also, pictures weren't allowed inside because the cameras could spark a charge leading to fire. Weird, but the wee dram we had before the tour began was delicious. 


4. Fried Mars Bars
Gag. Apparently Scots love their candy bar deep fried. It tasted like it couldn't decide if it wanted to be a doughnut, a candy bar, a hot caramel mess, or just fried grossness. I was told the first bite is interesting and then after that, it's too much. Amie and I split one fried Mars Bar and a side of ice cream. Honestly, even with two chocolate craving girls, the candy bar didn't get finished. 

5. Haggis
If you follow me on Facebook, you saw that I not only tried haggis, I actually liked it. Yes, that's right. I liked the haggis. Amie and I hiked up King Arthur's Seat on my second to last day in the country, and afterwards, we visited the Sheepsheid Pub, which has been open since 1320. And there, I dared Amie, who has lived in Edinburgh for nine months now, to try the haggis appetizer with me. 


The appetizer is called "Haggis, Neeps, and Tatters." Translation: bottom layer is haggis, middle layer is mashed potatoes, and top layer is creamy turnips. 


Amie had a wee dram of whiskey to help her find the courage to try the adventurous dish. Me? I stuck with a half pint of beer. The verdict?


Thumbs up! We ate it all. It mostly tasted like meatloaf topped by mashed potatoes. And yes, one day I will post a better picture of my V-neck tshirt. It says "Yay CleaVage!" (Because if you've got it, you gotta flaunt it, right?)



2 comments:

Mb said...

Fried Mars Bar? Wha' what!?! I'm so curious now.

KT Mac said...

I know, right? I was excited until I actually tried it.