18 November 2010

KtMac Reviews: The Girls of Murder City: Fame, Lust, and the Beautiful Killers who Inspired Chicago


Author: Douglas Perry 

The good: I picked this up because I felt that as a new citizen of Chicago, I should learn a little more about my new adopted city.  I also didn't realize that the musical Chicago was based on a true story.  It's a pretty interesting snippet of history and the ladies that inspired the musical.  

The bad: It felt like the author ran out of steam at the end of the book, like he was just trying to wrap it up rather than finish it well.  As with any non-fiction, it was a little dry at times too, but not as often as most non-fiction books.  

The verdict: If you're interested in history, Chicago history, or the history behind the musical, read it.  Otherwise, it probably won't appeal.  

No comments: