25 October 2010

KtMac Reviews: My Name is Memory



Author: Ann Brashares, of The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants fame


The good: For her first adult novel, Brashares does a great job of writing a compelling story.  The story is about a man who remembers each and every one of his previous lives and continues to fall in love with the same woman every time he encounters her in her lives.  It's an interesting concept: reincarnation and the ability to accurately remember each of those previous lives.  I found myself toying with the idea of forgiveness and repentance for past sins as I read.  You find yourself rooting for the main characters and waiting with bated breath to find out what will happen.  

The bad: Gah.  Worst ending ever.  It just ends.  On the plus side, I've had a great time imagining other potential endings for the novel.  There were other sections of the novel I felt could have been better fleshed out and explained by the author, but that comes with time and practice.  

The verdict: Despite the wholly unsatisfying ending, I really do wholeheartedly recommend the novel.  It's an interesting, and more importantly, a thought-provoking read.  I also think that if several friends read it, there would be a great debate about the merits and possibilities and downsides to reincarnation.  Especially the idea of falling in love with the same soul in almost every life.  

2 comments:

Mb said...

Add this to the next book swap we do :)

KT Mac said...

Will do! This is definitely a book I'm going to need to own.