24 June 2010

In My Pocket

On a family trip to Maine one year, we stopped in to see the world's largest globe.  In the gift shop, I discovered tiny globe marbles and became transfixed by the idea of holding the world in my pocket.  So I asked my Dad if he'd buy one of those marbles for me.  He just couldn't say no.  So I have the world in my pocket.


To this day, it is still one of my most treasured possessions.  I no longer carry it in my pocket every day, but it does get carried around in my purse from time to time when I need the reminder.  And every time I see it, I smile, because it really is true -- I do have the whole world in my hands.

Fast forward all these years later, and that statement is truer than I realized.  I really do have the whole world in my hands.  I had dinner last night with a dear friend who is moving to Mozambique in three weeks (!) for the next three years.  As we devoured mussels and frites, we chattered about travel and places we still want to see.  And at the end of the night, she told me, "You always have an open door and a bed to sleep in wherever I am."

And I smiled.  Oh, I smiled.

Because you see, I have so many friends -- all over the world now.  Mozambique, South Africa, New Zealand, Hong Kong, Kuwait, Afghanistan, Morocco, Spain, Italy, Eastern Europe, Germany, Australia -- the list goes on.  And all of them have promised I have a home wherever they are.  It's awesome to realize I have such great friends.  And even more awesome to realize that I really do have the whole world in my pocket.

Now, how long will it take before My Love is recovered from his expat years so that I can convince him it is time to start seeing these friends?

No comments: