05 October 2009

Clean Slate

Last week was one of those weeks.  You know the kind.....the ones where, by Wednesday, you look like this little fella:


One of those weeks where by Friday, you're amazed you're even still on your feet.  A fairly sizeable chunk of my work is tied to the fiscal calendar, and I spent the week reminding people of the need to do their jobs.  By the end of the day on Tuesday, I realized I was incredibly stressed over things beyond my control.  So starting on Wednesday, I tried to adopt a "good enough" mantra. 

The mantra helped relax me a bit, but I won't lie:  it was still a stressful week.  One I'm glad to see is over.  Finally.  Aside from some wrap-up work this week, I won't have to deal with this again for another year. 


Part of my problem was that I was stressed at work, and every time I came home after 10 hour days, I was confronted with a laundry list of things that needed to be done at home as well.  I usually ended up saying, "it can wait," and ignored my at-home to-do list.  But I forgot to stop stressing over those things as well. 

The end result was a melty mess KtMac style.  Not pretty.  Not pretty at all.

So I spent the weekend really cleaning my apartment.  The kind of cleaning where things come off the shelves and the shelves get cleaned.  Where you reassess whether you need 3 half-opened bottles of dish detergent under the sink and decide to combine them into one bottle.  Everything that could be dusted was dusted.  Anything that could be polished was polished.  Floors were vacuumed, swept, swiffered.  Clothes were washed, dried, ironed, mended, and put away.  Or tucked into a new "to donate" bag.  Cards, letters, emails, and other overdue correspondence was addressed.  The refridgerator was restocked with fresh fruit and veggies to refuel with only the freshest and the best foods.  I got in a couple of the good kind of grueling work outs in.  I soaked in the tub.  I stretched.  I slept.  In short, I cleaned my slate in hopes that when home is calm and orderly, the rest of my life will follow suit. 

But, just in case, I need to find some new stress relievers.  I used to, back in the day when I actually owned a car, hop in the car and just drive for the sake of driving until I felt better.  It never failed to calm me down.  Working out helps sometimes, but never to the same degree.  Baths feel good, but aren't great relieving stress. I've finally broken the emotional eating (for the most part).  So, any suggestions on some stress relievers for me?  I really want to find a few that work for me so that next time I deal with a week like last week, I can cope better with the stress.

No comments: