13 September 2009

Defining a Hero

When I was home last weekend, inevitably, I got roped into helping my brother write a paper.  It's just a fact of life that when I go home, I wind up helping with homework.  I don't mind. 

My brother had to write a paper on a hero he knows.  It had to be about himself or someone he knows personally who has overcome a challenge.  The paper had to describe the challenge, how the person overcome the challenge, the personal characteristics that person used to overcome their challenge, and how that person is a hero like several heroes in novels he's read so far.

So, my brother chose to write his paper about me.  And the challenges I've faced with my hearing problems.

Bless his heart.

The problem was, he was too young to really remember all the problems I had with my hearing.  I got the working cochlear implant when he was seven.  He couldn't really remember all the day in and day out trials that we had with my hearing before then.  And since I got the cochlear implant, my hearing has more or less been "normal."

So Mom made me sit down and help him write the paper.  We kept it simple.  It was a short writing assignment.  But it was good, because my brother got to learn a little more about the challenges I dealt with when we were younger.  And, ever the protective older sister, I was actually relieved to hear that he didn't remember all the challenges I had.  It's better that way.

That said, I don't really think I am a hero.  I was just doing what needed to be done to survive.

A real hero, to me, would be my parents.  They both sacrificed so much to make sure I had the same chances as anyone else.  And they succeeded.  But more importantly, they did it in such a way that my brothers still had normal childhoods too.  To me, they're the everyday heroes.  And once again, I find myself thanking them for all they did, have done, and continue to do, for me and my brothers.

No comments: