11 June 2009

Lightning Re-charge

It's been another insane week.

I've had a lot of projects and last-minute assignments on my plate this week. I like it. I like being busy and producing some great results. The downside is that I have many competing thoughts in my head. "Oh, I need to draft this, but after I call so-and-so, only after I finish this. And I can't forget that, or to do send document xyz to abc. By the way, did I eat lunch, no, not really, and remember to pick up that thingy on the way to the meeting...." and on, and on, until I reached a breaking point yesterday evening.

I could no longer keep my thoughts in order, and it was interfering with my productivity. The sluggishness that sets in after a marathon work day and the racing thoughts were so bad that I could barely focus on the phone conversation I was trying to have with my Mom.

So when I got home, I made myself dinner, treated myself to a lazy bath, and then decided I was going to crawl into bed early. Of course, right at that moment, yet another thunderstorm decided to roll through.

One of the best things about my bed is that it is set up in such a way that I can lay there and stare out the huge picture window, and watch the awesome storm. As I lay there, I forced myself to just zone out and watch the storm and the random airplanes. No thinking allowed. Everytime a thought popped in my head, I shut it down. It was hard to do. But I'm glad I did it. Turns out, the lightning and a good night's sleep was exactly what the doctor ordered. What do y'all do when you need to shut down the random thoughts and recharge the batteries?



(Awesome picture is from here.)

2 comments:

Plan-G said...

This last week seems to have universally sucked for everyone. But good to hear you reaching your zen point thru a lightening show - always been a favorite of mine.

Of course, it's hard to beat an afternoon nap.

KT Mac said...

It's usually a work out and/or a bath that does the trick for me. Irony is, I'm not sure if that thunderstorm was the proverbial calm before the storm.

Here's hoping this week was better than last week for everyone.