07 May 2009

My Kind of Town

This town has been on my mind a lot this week for a myriad of reasons:

1) This time last year, I was there, on average, once every other month. I miss it (and one of its resident charming smooth-talkers) much more than expected.

2) A friend and I were talking about live blues and jazz music the other day. No town can play live music quite like that town.

3) I am re-reading one of my favorite novels: The Time Traveler's Wife.

I can't quite say why I like such a melancholy novel so much, but the love they have is so hopeful, it keeps drawing me back. (On a related side-note, I'm curious to see how it translates to film later this summer!)

4) I bought a plane ticket this week to see my cousin get married on the Gold Coast this summer. I'm quite excited for this wedding, since he is the first grandkid to get married, so it should be a fantastic party.

5) Another friend and I were talking about the quote in my profile. (Look over there, to the right...your other right....yeah, right there.) It's from this song which could have easily been written about me. (Sorry I can't post the video - I can't remember how to post YouTube to Blogger.)

6) It is just a laid-back but vibrant city. Even on the coldest days of winter, it still has that Midwestern warmth I miss.

7) And, naturally, Old Blue Eyes' classic "My Kind of Town" was playing on a colleague's radio this afternoon.

Yeah, I suspect Frankie was right....

This is my kind of town, Chicago is
My kind of town, Chicago is

No comments: