08 May 2009

6 AM Musings

I walked the long way into work this morning. Mostly because I needed to drop a few things off at the library, but also because it was a nice morning and I needed fresh air after a week straight of rain. (The weather report, unf, calls for more rain through Monday) As I wandered into work, I mused. Some of my random thoughts:
  • Early morning walks are my favorite. Everything is fresher and calm. It is, for an early bird like me, a great way to start the day. I really should just get into the habit of getting up a little earlier and start my days on the right foot.
  • On the flip side, insomnia sucks. I have been back in the good ole' US for three weeks now. This is not jet lag. This is "my body hates me." I try going to bed early because I'm exhausted, and I wake up in the middle of the night. I try ignoring the fact that I'm exhausted and stay up late, and I still wake up in the middle of the night. This is getting old, and fast.
  • Related to that...what's up with the crazy dreams?!
  • I love the smell of fresh flowers. Especially after the rain. But the smell of earthworms? Not so much.
  • Even after almost 3.5 years in this city, I still cannot get used to the fact that people stare at me like I'm from outer space when I dare to smile or say "good morning" in passing. It's cliche because it's true: I miss good ole' Midwestern manners.
  • "Movie dates" with My Love are my favorite part of the weekend.
  • I am no longer up for "Daughter of the Year." I was so focused on getting Mother's Day cards for all the "Moms" in my life this year that I totally forgot yesterday was my parents' 32nd wedding anniversary. I actually said "Oh CRAP!" when Grandma reminded me yesterday.
  • But then again, since it's a family curse, I've been forgiven. You see, among the traits I inherited from my Mom and Grandma are the tendency to need lipstick (or chapstick at minimum) on whenever I leave the house (no matter where I'm going or how I'm dressed) and a predisoposition to forgetfulness. I forgot my parents' anniversary, my Mom forgot to call me right back, so we're both forgiven.
  • 32 years. Wow.
  • I am hungry. Time to go scavange breakfast.

5 comments:

Mb said...

insomnia and bad dreams? hi twin. i feel your pain.

KT Mac said...

Hi Twin....glad I've got company. Got any solutions?

Mb said...

I tried the whole "going to bed early" thing, but I'm awake after 3 hours. Body is so programed to avoid deep sleep since I can never have it. We need a national holiday. Happy Sleep Day!

KT Mac said...

And to think we were ever naive enough to foolishly believe we'd get more sleep once we finished grad school...

Mb said...

seriously. pure malarkey.