30 April 2009

Albania: 3. Times When the Language Barrier is not Wide Enough

At the risk of making a generalization (which My Love reminds me not to do), Eastern Europeans are concerned with family. Particularly with young couples starting families.

One of the first nights I was in Albania, My Love and I invited his neighbors to dinner. We ate. We chit chatted as best we could. We had many toasts to the continuing friendship between America and Albania. Then My Love leaned over and whispered, "They are praying for us to have 5 children."

Got that? 4 Albanians are praying for us to have 5 children.

Another night, we were at a friend's house for dinner, chit chatting as best we could again. Somewhere amongst the Raki (Albanian moonshine) toasts, My Love and I were wished 3 children.

Another 5 Albanians are praying for us to have 3 children.

For those of you as bad at math as I am, 4 + 5 = 9 Albanians praying for us to have 5 + 3 = 8 children. 9 Albanians are wishing us 8 children.

8 children.

Birth control.

Naturally, 9 Albanians wishing 8 children upon us is not enough.

While visiting My Love's relatives in Croatia, I was patted down and declared to have "good childbearing hips." Good thing, since I'll need them for those 8 children I don't plan on having.

(There were some questions about when My Love and I will get married, but 90% of the focus was on when we will start having children, and how many we will have.)

No comments: