15 March 2009

San Diego

Recovery from jet lag led to recovery from a cold. 2.5 boxes of Kleenex and one bottle of Benedryl later, here's the promised review:
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

For a fairly last-minute business trip, San Diego was a good time. (You can view all the pictures in a larger format if you click on the picture itself.)

Downtown San Diego from Point Loma.

I've never been to California before. San Diego wasn't as typically "Californian" as I expected. Newport Beach definitely was as "Californian" as I expected. I can't really explain "Californian" other than it's a mental image I had of California and its inhabitants based on all I've heard and seen of California over the years.




My balcony "Harbor view" left a bit to be desired.



While I was out there, the weather was in a respectable 60s range. Warm enough for me to wear just a windbreaker, but not as warm as the 80s I'd been dreaming of. I was surprised to learn how varied the temperature zones are in San Diego. Someone told me that the San Diego weather report always involves four zones. I can't remember what they are, but the more I moved around the city, the more I believed that. Most mornings, it was awfully foggy. It's been quite a few years since I've seen fog like that, so I liked it.




On the drive to the office in the mornings.



I ate a lot. The best food was at Island Prime, which is on Harbor Island, and has a phenomenal view of downtown. Absolutely phenomenal. Dinner that night was Lobster Truffle Mac and Cheese. I swear, I'm STILL drooling thinking about it. The best dinner, however, was the night I drove up to Newport Beach to meet a friend at The Cannery. The food was delicious, but it was wonderful to see my friend Mimi again. She just recently moved out to the LA area for an interesting job, so it was an unexpected bonus to be able to see her again, and so soon! I also discovered how much I like the grocery store Fresh & Easy. Great deals, good food.



Want to impress a date in San Diego? Amazing food and stunning views to be had here...



One night I wandered around the Gaslamp District with a couple of the others who were also sent out to San Diego. If I were to ever move to San Diego (not happening), I totally would want a loft in the Gaslamp District. I loved all the activity and just how many of the restaurants had outdoor seating. Almost all the restaurants creatively had some kind of heating system, so that patrons could sit outside almost year-round. How utterly fabulous. I love dining al fresco at restaurants.





Sad but true. This is the only picture I took in the Gaslamp District.



I also discovered how close Coronado Island was to my hotel, and went to the beach in front of the famous (and fabulous) Hotel del Coronado in the mornings before my long work days started.



What the Hotel del Coronado looks like at 6 am.



Even though it was February, cool, and 6 AM, I still couldn't resist playing in the surf. I am probably the only person who can go to the beach in California and wonder if she got frostbite.





These tootsies have now been in the Atlantic and the Pacific.



I found some adorable tiny treasures on the beach. I can also strongly recommend that you not drop your cell phone in the surf. Pacific Ocean + sand + cell phone = no bueno.
Then I got welcomed home to this:





Brr. Stupid East Coast.


*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*


I'm glad I got to go out to San Diego. There's some noise about a few repeat trips - we'll see. In the meantime, it was a good distraction from the countdown of days until I get to see My Love again (two weeks from Tuesday!).

No comments: